My name is Erica, author of the Grace Fed Runner. This blog is my celebration of life as a wife, a Christian, a runner and a writer in all of their beauty and messiness.
You may be wondering who I am (besides the author of this blog). First and foremost I am a follower of Christ, forever changed by God's grace and love. Running changed my life more than seven years ago and has been my therapy ever since. I am also a wife, a daughter, a sister, a friend, a bike commuter, a hiker, a weight lifter, a yogi, a goofball, an ambivert and a lover of strong coffee. Professionally, I'm a freelance writer and full-time marketer, born in the Big Horn Basin of Wyoming and raised in the cornfields of Indiana. I currently live on the East Coast near beautiful Shenandoah Valley, where I work and play.
20 Facts About Me
- I started running when I was 19 so I could get in shape to impress a guy. Running stuck, the guy did not.
- I ran my first half marathon in 2012, which was the Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon. I finished slow-for-me (2:30, heeeeckk yeah) but I ran it with some amazing women so it was fantastic.
- In high school and college, I was super involved in student media and was a total journalism nerd. AP Style and strong ledes are forever etched into my brain.
- Before I discovered long-distance running, I was a gymnast until age 15 and then tried a variety of sports including track, softball and boxing.
- I ran my second half marathon in 2013 in Maryville, Illinois and it was basically me running 13.1 miles alone in the Midwest. I have no idea what my time was and I decided I would never run a *super* small race again.
- I lived in St. Louis for six months while interning with a major PR agency and it is one of my favorite cities to this day.
- I love the St. Louis Cardinals because baseball is amazeballs.
- I served as a Christian missionary in Birmingham, Alabama for six months. During my time in The Dirty South I fought the urge to say "ya'll" the ENTIRE TIME.
- I moved halfway across the country to live closer to my now-husband after only three months of dating (Alabama --> Virginia). We reconnected after both serving as missionaries and I quickly realized he was "the one."
- I summitted my first fourteener in 2014 with a few amazing friends. It was really hard but it was 100 percent worth the struggle to sit on top of the world.
- I am the eldest of four children. This means I am responsible, caring, loyal....and let's be real, sometimes a little bossy.
- I ran my third half marathon dressed as a Ninja Turtle on Halloween 2015 in Philadelphia and set my half marathon PR of 2:10 (which I hope to obliterate with a sub-2 hour half marathon time in 2017).
- I grew up in Indianapolis and I still often refer to Indiana as "home" even though I haven't lived there for many years.
- To be honest, I'm a much more natural sprinter than long-distance runner and I have the meaty legs to prove it.
- After my half marathon in 2015, I took a break from running because I had some super annoying IT band issues and plantar fasciitis, and I was tired of all the injuries. For more than a year, I focused primarily on lifting weights and now I have actual muscles! (But I still can't see my abs - damn you baked goods and pizza.)
- I am a bit of a coffee snob and believe life's too short to drink crappy coffee.
- I'm a new bike commuter and think more women should bike commute because it's fantastic.
- I was born in Wyoming and it is my favorite state in the whole country to visit.
- I legitimately believe in miracles and the power of prayer.
- I am really short - I top out at 5'0".
Are you an awesome person? Let's connect!
The writings and opinions presented on this blog represent my views only, not those of my employer or affiliated organizations.